Sunday 18 December 2011

The box is always better than the gift.


I think we have learned a valuable lesson this year. Tabithas birthday is in late Novemeber in great excitement we brought and requested all the things we thought she would love, and she does. A dolls house, an art easel with enough paints and chalks to sink a ship, playdough sets to rival any nursery school, she got it all.

The problem we have found is now, at christmas barely four weeks later we need to do it all again. Our imaginations are exhausted and our flat is bursting at the seams. She does not need anything else right now and I am not sure where we would put it if she did.

Never the less we have purchased a pile of presents for her to open on Christmas day and she will drag them all back from her grandparents after the holidays for us to find 'somewhere' for them to go....

Do I sound like a grinch? I don't mean to. I just think next year we will pace ourselves with her birthday and remember a bit more clearly that four weeks later we need to do it all over again.

2 comments:

  1. It's a tricky one - I think yes, definitely do pace yourself, but at the same time you have to be mindful of being fair. Once she realises she's getting less for her birthday because it's close to Christmas, she might rightly be a bit peeved. My brother's birthday is a week before Christmas. He remembers one year from our parents I got a piano for my birthday in May and come December he got... Jenga. But as long as you're making a fuss of birthday and Christmas then you should be fine. 

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes you are right, her Uncles birthday is the week before Christams and he hates getting joint presents for birthday and Christmas.

    ReplyDelete